Thursday, March 25, 2010

My View on Cheating

There are numerous ways that someone can define the word cheating, especially in relation to video games. Throughout my experience of playing Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story over the past few months I have come to a better idea on what cheating is in my mind. For example, for my game there are numerous sources both in print and online that contain step by step walkthroughs on how to play the game. Although I have not used any of them yet, I feel that it would be okay to use them if I was in a position where I was stuck and could not move on in the game unless I used the walkthrough. I think it is okay to use the walkthrough at this point because without it I might not continue with the game at all. This is an interesting way in which cheating such as through using a walkthrough can actually be beneficial to a game or a players experience with that game. Another method of cheating is cheat codes. From my perspective, I think that it is only okay to use these once one has already beaten the game once. This is also somewhat beneficial because it adds to the replay value of the game and helps to create new experiences from which the player could learn on.

1 comment:

  1. Becky,

    Games have a very natural ability to implement the transfer principal that is lacking at times in education. I am glad that you recognized that and commented on it in one of your posts.

    I liked your comment on how cheating game enhance one's relationship to the game they are playing. I think that is a very clever and smart way to think about cheating in games. How do you view cheating in an academic setting? Can cheating enhance your experience?

    Good luck in your game play and final game design!

    ReplyDelete