Sunday, April 4, 2010

Incremental Principle

This week , I have discovered another one of Gee's principles that is very evident in my game, the Incremental Principle. This principal involves the idea that learning in the game is ordered in a specific way so that things you learn early on can be generalized and can eventually help you in later more complex situations. I find these ideas present in Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story. Throughout my playing, I have found that I need things that I learned in the very basics in the beginning later in the game. At later times, I must take these basic skills I had learned and adjust them and build on them in order to be successful at later more challenging tasks.

1 comment:

  1. Becky,

    The principal you mention is one that any good game or education design has. One needs to know the final product to be able to give the student/player scaffolds to get from their novice state in the beginning of the game to the finished expert state at the end of the game. How do the game designers know what level of novice experience will a gamer come in with? They could design the first levels to be too easy and gamers would be board. How do they avoid this?

    Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete