Friday, April 9, 2010

What have I really learned?

After playing this game for several months, I decided to go back and reevaluate what I have actually learned through my game-play experience. After playing Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story, I do not believe that this game involves great learning in the area of core educational subjects such as math, science, etc. however I don't think that this game was really designed with the intentions of doing so. One exception to this is that I do believe for the younger age groups that play this game, there is valuable learning that can take place involving reading. Because this game is a story mode based rpg game, there are many conversations and scenes that take place that introduce and develop the storyline which all involve quite a bit of reading. I think that younger children could increase there reading abilities through games such as this one.
For the older audience of this game however, including myself, I believe the learning and educational content lie elsewhere. I think that the main learning for this age group comes from the experiences the game provides for evaluating and relating to your identity. This game involves you taking on the role of Mario and Luigi, and Bowser, the traditional villain in the Mario & Luigi series. It is interesting to compare how you relate to each of these characters, and take on their identities based on your relationship. Also, I believe that throughout the game, as your identity, and the identity of the characters develops, the way you play each of these characters and relate to them may change.

1 comment:

  1. Becky,

    Could the reading pose a challenge for some students that cannot read at that level? How does the game combat this challenge? Also how do you think that younger kids would identity with the characters in the game?

    ReplyDelete